Awarded to DS students who need to travel either domestically or abroad during the summer of their junior year to conduct fieldwork for a senior thesis or other capstone project, other independent project approved by the DS Director, or to pursue an internship.
Undergraduate student concentrating in Development Studies in good academic standing, and returning to study at Brown the following fall.
AWARDS AND DISPERSAL
Award amounts—up to $2,000--are based on the proposed budget. Although the total budget of the project may exceed $2,000.
- Thesis Summer Research - April 16, 2018
- Other Capstone Research - Rolling until May 18, 2018
To be considered, all applicants must:
- Submit a completed online application via UFUNDs, including:
- detailed budget (amount per week for food, transportation (type), housing (type))
- personal statement
- faculty recommendation (for thesis, must be advisor)
- supervisor statement, offer letter, and position description (required for internship)
- proposal (required for thesis research)
- For an internship application, have secured an internship that is unpaid or pays $1,000 or less (includes salary, housing, and transportation)
Students receiving an award must:
Within two weeks of returning to Brown all students are required to submit to the Program Manager the following:
- 1-2 page reflective essay summarizing the experience.
- Completed post-award travel expense report including copies of all receipts
- 1-3 photographs that highlight the experience.
- If the student is unable to travel and/or conduct research after the award has been distributed s/he will be required to return the award money in full.
- If the original project was modified, an updated budget and travel expense accounting is required. Money not accounted for in the modified budget must be returned.
Questions about the application process should be directed to Anita_Nester@brown.edu