The Watson Institute, located at 111 Thayer Street, offers three meeting spaces that are available for use when not booked for Watson events. Meeting space in the Watson Institute is available to any Brown faculty, student, or staff during business hours only. Space requests by Brown departments will be reviewed after August 15 for fall events and December 15 for spring events. The Watson Institute is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. during the academic year, and 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. during the summer. Before requesting a space, please familiarize yourself with the rooms.
Watson Room Usage Guidelines
- One member of your department’s staff or faculty will be assigned as the responsible party for the event.
- At least one staff or faculty member must be present and responsible for the duration of the event.
- All events will take place during business hours, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday – Friday.
- All furniture moves will be handled by Facilities. Furniture must be returned to its prior location by Facilities.
- Extra custodial cleaning service must be ordered by the event organizers to restore the room(s) to their previous condition immediately following the event. The service order must be emailed to a Watson Events Manager prior to the event.
- If you have food or drink at your event you are required to use Brown catering. You must cover the tables to protect them from damage. Please email copy of catering order to a Watson Events Manager.
- Please note that posters are not allowed to be taped to walls, doors, or windows.
Please reserve space by filling out our space request form. A Watson event manager will be in touch with you shortly.
McKinney Conference Room, 3rd floor (Room 353)
- Capacity: 34
- Hollow square seating
- Audiovisual equipment: computer, 70" LCD display (bring presentations on thumbdrive or laptop), Bluray/DVD, sound
- The South Common Room, 2nd floor (Room 258/259), directly below McKinney and connected by an internal staircase, may be reserved for lunch/breaks.
Joukowsky Forum, 1st floor (Room 155)
- Capacity: 59
- Auditorium-style seating
- Audiovisual equipment: computer, projector (bring presentations on thumbdrive or laptop), sound, podium/microphone, wireless mic, panel table/4 mics, Bluray/DVD, general room lighting
- Breaks may be set up in the lobby area outside the Joukowsky Forum.
- In Joukowsky lobby: 1 sturdy moveable coatrack and hangers
- 4 tables available for catering
- The South Common Room, 2nd floor (Room 258/259), may be reserved for lunch/breaks.
Kim Koo Library, 3rd floor (Room 328)
- Capacity: 24 for meeting set-up
- Audiovisual equipment: none available
- Lunches/breaks may be set up in the hallway outside the Library or the South Common Room, 2nd floor (Room 258/259), may be reserved for lunches/breaks.
- 2 tables available for catering
Classrooms and Starr Plaza (outdoor green space)