Experienced professional on social policy analysis. I have an expertise on conducting social protection and child protection studies using quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods research design and applying relevant conceptual frameworks, as well as suggest relevant policy and practice related recommendations. I have an experience in exploring regional level social development issues. For instance, I undertook a study that looked at the impacts of conflict on women and youth in the Horn of Africa. I also participated in assessing the implementation of National Action Plans on the Women in Peace and Security Agenda (i.e. UN-SCR 1325) in the Horn of Africa. In Kenya, I recently conducted a scoping study and participated in programme proposal development process on gender and social dynamics in relation to food and nutrition security for CRS Kenya office. Taught master’s level courses on Social Development and Social Change as well as Social Policy Development and Analysis at the School of social work at Addis Ababa University. In addition to my strong research-based expertise and experience, I have a direct practical project management experience in urban and rural development in Ethiopia.
SELECT PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH
- Meseret Kassahun Desta (2021). The governance of Addis Ababa Light Rail Transit. In Pietrese, E. Coese, S., and Therborn, G., Bekker, S. (Eds) Refractions of the National, the Popular, and the Global in African cities: HSRC Press.
- Meseret Kassahun and Rachel Venema. (2020). Women convicted of intimate partner homicide in Oromiya Regional State of Ethiopia: Profile and associated factors. Violence Against Women
- Meseret Kassahun & Toggia, P. (2020). Perspectives on the Correlational andConsequential Factors of Violence against Women in Ethiopia. In Anita Kalunta-Crumpton (Ed) Violence Against Women
- Meseret Kassahun Desta. (2020). School closure and panic mode. In M. N. Kinyanjui, R. Thaker, and K. Toure (Eds.), Covid stories from East Africa and beyond: Lived experiences and forward-looking reflections (pp. 35-40). Bamenda: Langaa. Covid Stories from East Africa and Beyond 3
- Meseret Kassahun. Assessment on the implementation of UNSCR 1325 in the humanitarian setting in Ethiopia. 2015
- Meseret Kassahun and Nathan Linsk. Pathways and Motivations for Raising Relatives’ Children Orphaned by HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia. Journal of HIV/AIDS & Social Services, Vol 14, Issue 4, Nov. 2015, pp. 392-404
- Kassahun, M. Social support and stress of kin caregivers of orphaned children in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Implications for practice and policy. International Journal of Social Welfare, 24: 388–398. 2015. doi:10.1111/ijsw.12145