Friday, October 23 –
Saturday, October 24, 2015
10/23, 8:45am - 4:30pm 10/24, 8:45am - 11:00am
The conference is open to the public at no charge but requires advance registration.
Please register by email at email@example.com.
How far has Africa gone in terms of promoting and developing democratic institutions? How do the discourses on democracy and practice of democracy differ in Africa? What are the challenges and prospects of democratic process in the region? How can democratic institutions and processes - elections, party systems, parliament and judiciary be improved upon in Africa? What is the link between democracy and development? These are some of the issues to be addressed by the conference.
- Revisiting the debates and theoretical perspectives on democracy in Africa.
- Election process, civil society engagement and party system.
- Democratic challenges – demography, ethnic politics, political violence and political settlement
- Democratic institutions – rule of law, accountability, political freedom etc.
- State architecture, constitutionalism, democracy and governance;
- External actors, aid regimes, political conditionality, democracy and development in Africa.
Click here for the conference agenda.