Chair, Department of Health in Emergencies and Disasters, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Ali Ardalan MD, PhD, is a pioneer in disaster risk management in Iran and the MENA region who was the driving force behind the creation of MPH and PhD training programs in disaster health studies. He is the founder and Chair of the Health in Emergencies and Disasters Department at the School of Public Health of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. He served Ministry of Health of Iran as an Adviser to Health Deputy Minister, and Director of Disaster Risk Management Office where he succeeded to integrate emergency preparedness and disaster risk reduction programs into the national primary health system of Iran. He was a nominee for the 2015 UN Sasakawa Award. Since 2012, he is a Visiting Scientist at Department of Global Health and Population at Harvard School of Public Health, and a Senior Fellow at Harvard Humanitarian Initiative. Dr. Ardalan is author and co-author of over 100 articles in English and Persian peer reviewed journals. He is a member of the UNISDR Asia Science, Technology and Academic Advisory Group (ASTAAG).
SELECT PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH
- Shi P, Shaw R, Ardalan A, et al. Fourteen actions and six proposals for science and technology-based disaster risk reduction in Asia. Int J Disaster Risk Sci (2018) 9: 275. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13753-018-0174-9.
- Ardalan A, Kandi Keleh M, Saberinia A, Kohorasani-Zavareh D, Khankeh H, Miadfar J, et al. 2015 Estimation of Hospitals Safety from Disasters in I.R.Iran: The Results from the Assesment of 421 Hospitals. PLoS ONE 11(9):e0161542. 2016.
- A. Ardalan, S. Sohrabizadeh, M.F. Latifi, M.H. Rajaei, A. Asadi, S. Mirbeigi, N. Rouhi and H. Yousefi. Responding to physical and psychological health impacts of disasters: case study of the Iranian disaster rehabilitation plan. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, Vol. 22, No. 3, 2016.
- Ejeta LT, Ardalan A, Paton D. Application of Behavioral Theories to Disaster and Emergency Health Preparedness: A Systematic Review. PLOS Currents Disasters. 2015 Jul 1 . Edition 1.
- Ostadtaghizadeh A, Ardalan A, Paton D, Jabbari H, Khankeh HR. Community Disaster Resilience: a Systematic Review on Assessment Models and Tools. PLOS Currents Disasters. 2015 Apr 8 . Edition 1.
- Babaie J, Ardalan A, Vatandoost H, Goya MM, Akbarisari A. Performance Assessment of Communicable Disease Surveillance in Disasters: A Systematic Review. PLOS Currents Disasters. 2015 Feb 24 . Edition 1
- Pourhosseini, S.S., Ardalan, A., Mehrolhassani M.H., Key Aspects of Providing Healthcare Services in Disaster Response Stage. Iran J Public Health, Vol. 44, No.1, Jan 2015, pp.111-118
- Babaie J, Fatemi F, Ardalan A, Mohammadi H, Soroush M. Communicable Diseases Surveillance System in East Azerbaijan Earthquake: Strengths and Weaknesses. PLOS Currents Disasters. 2014 Dec 8 . Edition 1.