CLACS invites applications from groups of affiliated graduate students and faculty to form interdisciplinary reading and/or writing groups in the academic year 17-18. The purpose is to enhance learning about a specific topic, country or region from a number of disciplinary perspectives.
Groups should have an ongoing core membership and meet at least four times per academic year to read and discuss scholarship from different disciplines and/or to read and workshop participants’ scholarship. The groups should be open to any one interested, and there is no limit to the number of times a group may apply.
- Covered expenses are limited to costs of materials (e.g. books) and food for meetings, up to $1000 per group.
- In addition, reading/writing groups are encouraged to propose a visiting speaker who can offer a public lecture in CLACS and meet privately with the group. Separate funds are available for this purpose and are accessible through request to the Director.
- In addition, the graduate student coordinator is entitled to up to $500 from CLACS toward conference or research travel expenses during the 17-18 academic year, in recognition of efforts in support of the group (e.g. arrange and publicize meetings, arrange for readings to be available, submit the brief year-end report, organize speakers’ visits).
- Other items may be covered by request. CLACS can also provide some administrative support (e.g. assistance with room scheduling and visitor reimbursement).
Proposals are due to Kate_Goldman@brown.edu by September 25, 2017, and must include the following:
- Group title o Names and affiliation of sponsors (minimum one faculty and one graduate student)
- Names of other confirmed and/or interested participants (minimum five total including the two co-sponsors)
- One paragraph description of the purpose of the group o Preliminary proposal of what meetings will focus on o Brief budget
Funding Decisions will be made by October 2, 2017.