The purpose of this page is to provide you with logistical information for your upcoming visit to Brown. Please feel free to submit suggestions if you find any key information missing. You may contact our office at 401-863-2645 if you have any questions.
Our staff also can be reached via email:
Katherine Goldman (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Center Manager
The Center for Latin American Studies at Brown University is located at 59 Charlesfield Street in Providence, Rhode Island, which is about one hour from Boston and three hours from New York (by car).
Most of our conference and visitor reservations are made at:
139 Mathewson Street, Providence, RI 02903
Getting to Brown University
- Boston Logan Airport is approximately 49 miles north of Providence.
- Amtrak offers service from Boston South Station and Providence. North-East Regional Service from South Station to Providence is $16.00. Acela service from South Station to Providence: $46.00. Prices may fluctuate slightly according to demand.
- You also may choose to use the commuter rail service (MBTA) between Boston and Providence: $14.65
- Travelers can access South Station from Logan Airport using the Silver Line Shuttle or a taxi or car service. Silver Line Shuttle: FREE. Taxi: 10 minutes for approximately $20.00. Then proceed to a communter rail line Providence/Stoughton at a ticket price of $14.65.
- Peter Pan Bus from Boston Logan Airport to Providence Bus Station: Approximately $25.00.
- Providence TF Green Airport is situated approximately 8.5 miles south of Providence.
- Airport taxi: $40.00 from Providence TF Green Airport to Brown University.
- Local Transit: You can also take a public bus through the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA).
- Rental Cars are available at TF Green Airport and Boston Logan Airport.
- From Points North: Take I-95S to exit 22A-22B-22C for RI-10 W/Providence Place toward US-6 W. Take exit 22A to merge onto Memorial Blvd toward Downtown. Turn left onto Washington Street (which becomes Waterman Street at the stop light). Continue onto Waterman Street. At the top of the hill, turn right onto Thayer Street. In three blocks, the Watson Institute (111 Thayer Street) will be on your left. 59 Charlesfield is the blue house located directly behind it.
- From Points South: Take I-95 N to the US-6 W/RI-10 W exit toward Downtown/Hartford, Connecticut. Take exit 22A to merge onto Memorial Blvd toward Downtown. Turn left onto Washington Street (which becomes Waterman Street at the stop light). Continue onto Waterman Street. At the top of the hill, turn right onto Thayer Street. In three blocks, the Watson Institute (111 Thayer Street) will be on your left. 59 Charlesfield is the blue house located directly behind it.
Getting Around Brown University/Providence
Follow these links for an interactive campus map and a printable self-guided tour. See also this printable map of downtown Providence.
The Providence area is covered by Uber and Lyft. There are bike and scooter share programs available, and the city is also quite walkable.