Wednesday, February 22 –
Friday, March 31, 2017
Roger Williams University Library, 1 Old Ferry Road, Bristol, RI
Free and open to the public
As part of the 17th Annual Professor John Howard Birss, Jr. Memorial Lecture Series and Library Exhibition, “Gabriel García Márquez and ‘One Hundred Years of Solitude’” commemorates the 50th anniversary of the publication of his major work of literature. The exhibition is open daily through March 31 during the library's operating hours. Items are on display courtesy of the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas at Austin, Redwood Library and others.
Featured items include:
• Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) facsimile of original typewritten manuscript (title page and page
• Cien Años de Soledad (One Hundred Years of Solitude) published in Spanish in America by Vintage Espanol, a division of Random House (2009). Originally published in Buenos Aires, Argentina by Editorial Sudamericana (1967).
• First edition of English translation of One Hundred Years of Solitude published in America by Harper & Row (1970).
• First edition of English translation of One Hundred Years of Solitude published in England by Jonathan Cape (1970).
• Facsimile of Gabriel García Márquez’s Nobel Prize in Literature speech, typescript with annotations (English translation provided).
• Facsimile correspondence with President Clinton, Salman Rushdie and others.
• Facsimile photographs with family and friends, including Fidel Castro and Robert Redford.
Roger Williams University Events made possible by
The Professor John Howard Birss Jr. Memorial Fund,
University Honors Program,
Roger Williams University Library, and Rogers Free Library.