June 27, 2018
CLACS Undergraduate Fellows Program
Application Deadline: August 1, 2018
The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS) Undergraduate Fellows Program is an opportunity for Brown undergraduate students with a focus on Latin America and the Caribbean to engage in the Sawyer Seminar series of special programs and events around the theme Race and Indigeneity in the Americas. CLACS Fellows will choose one of the scheduled Sawyer Seminar projects that reflects their research interests. The fellows will work in conjunction with coordinating faculty, graduate students, and staff to help plan and execute the event. Sawyer Seminar events include research workshops, museum exhibits, a graduate student symposium, literary, music, and artistic events.
This program is a unique opportunity to engage with fellow students, faculty, and visiting guests on shared interests in the region and gain access to CLACS funding, networking, and mentorship. Please note, you do not need to be a LACA concentrator to apply - the Fellows Program is open to any concentration provided you have a demonstrated interest in Latin America or the Caribbean. Two CLACS Undergraduate Fellow positions are available and notification of decisions will be made by August 15th.
1) Consultation with CLACS Sawyer Seminar staff to select one specialty per semester, depending on academic interests
2) Collaborate with Sawyer Seminar staff in the planning and execution of the event
3) Assist in outreach related to the event (publicity; blog post for website; video or photography support; etc.)
1) Preferential consideration for CLACS Undergraduate Research Awards
2) Mentorship related to Sawyer Seminar from graduate students, faculty, and staff
3) Networking opportunities and career advice from the CLACS alumni
4) Funding (up to $250) to be used for expenses such as research, conference attendance, or other relevant academic purpose related to interests in Latin America and the Caribbean
Submit the Fellowship Application Form.
You can also access the form here: https://tinyurl.com/yawuxpa8
1) Background Information
2) Personal Statement explaining why you wish to become a CLACS Undergraduate Fellow and how your interests and/or previous work apply to Latin America and the Caribbean. Please limit to one paragraph (500 words).
4) Unofficial Brown Transcript
The deadline for applications to the CLACS Undergraduate Fellows Program for the 2018-2019 academic year is August 1, 2018.