Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs
Center for Contemporary South Asia


The Center for Contemporary South Asia offers summer funding for undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty through its Fellowship, which you can learn about here.

In addition, many fellowships are available to students through Brown that support research or internships in India. There are also a wide range of fellowships available for scholars and students to conduct research in India. 

The Swearer Center for Public Service

The Swearer Center for Public Service at Brown has several opportunities for undergraduates to pursue research. 

  • Social Innovation Fellowship: Overseen by the Center's Social Innovation Initiative, the SI Fellowship is the overarching program for both the C.V. Starr and the Leslie Altman Social Entrepreneurship Fellowships, as well as for opportunities for RISD students and Taubman Center Masters in Public Affairs students. Students receive year-long skills-training and support as well as financing (up to $4000) to grow a social venture over the summer. Housed at Brown, students' work can go towards developing programs related to India. 
  • Royce Fellowship: Each year, up to twenty students are awarded Royce Fellowships to conduct research, curricular development, or public service project of their own design. Projects may include international travel. 

Watson Institute Fellows 

  • Watson Senior Thesis Travel Grants: Rising seniors concentrating in Development Studies or International Relations may apply for funding (up to $2000) to cover the costs of travelling to conduct research for an approved senior thesis. 
  • The Marla Ruzicka International Public Service Fellowship: This fellowship provides $4000 to support the summer plans of a Brown University student who embodies the characteristics of compassion, determination, and selflessness in the pursuit of international human rights, post-conflict rehabilitation, or international public service. 

Office of the Dean of the College 

  • International Affairs Undergraduate Student Fund: Undergraduate students wishing to conduct research or other projects directly relating to their studies, including international travel, can apply to this fund which awards grants on a rolling basis.
  • IR Program Michael Bhatia Fund for Peace-Keeping and Conflict Studies: Students concentrating in International Relations can apply to this fund for work that will deepen their understanding of a region or culture by traveling and studying there, with the ultimate goal of helping to promote cross-cultural understanding that might end or avert violence or military conflict. 

Students can also apply for Karen T. Romer Undergraduate Teaching and Research Awards (UTRAs) for projects that involve collaborating with a faculty member on teaching or research, during the summer or school year, and Research at Brown (RAB) grants for any student-initiated research projects in the sciences, humanities or the fine arts.

Applications for the above Watson Institute and Dean of the College programs, and others, can be found on the UFunds page.

For a full list of fellowships available through Brown, please visit Fellowships@Brown.